Sunday, December 8, 2013

Red Velvet Cupcakes

I have made SO many cupcakes in my day. 
But, I've never made a red velvet cupcake!
I decided to go ahead and knock that one off my list!
Recipe c/o AverieCooks

What you need:
1 large egg
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vanilla greek yogurt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt
1-2 tablespoons red food coloring

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
splash milk
sprinkles

First preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Line a nonstick with muffin liners. 
I went with these cute Christmas themed ones I picked up at Walmart!
In a large bowl whisk together the first six ingredients through the vanilla, until smooth.
Add the flour, cocoa, and salt. Whisk together but don't over mix.
Next, carefully whisk in the food coloring.
Fill the liners about 3/4 the way full.
Bake about 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
Next, to make the frosting, combine the first 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
Add about 1 cup of confectioners sugar, whisk to combine or beat with a mixer.
Continue adding sugar until desired frosting consistency is reached.
Add cream if it get's too thin.
Just a little trick I saw on another blog, while you're not using your frosting you can stick your frosting back in a glass and it won't leak out the top and it keeps it in the bottom of the bag!
Add 2-3 tablespoons of frosting to each cupcake and garnish with sprinkles.
I thought these cupcake liners and toothpick decorations were so cute for these cupcakes! 
They also had all kinds of holiday sprinkles at Walmart too. 

I also got a LITTLE excited to start icing and didn't let me cupcakes cool enough, so the icing turned out looking just a little sad!
But, I had to get them ready to go ASAP to a friend's Sound of Music watch party.
Carrie Underwood is so flawless.
They turned out SO tasty! I would put sprinkles on everything if I could.
Love the icing too! :)









No comments:

Post a Comment

some_text