Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Vanilla Valentine's Day Cupcakes

I got the cutest little cupcake liners with cute toothpicks from the dollar store so I wanted to make a Valentine's Day inspired cupcakes.
This recipe is for homemade vanilla cupcakes and homemade vanilla icing.

Ingredients (Cupcakes):

3/4 cup butter (room temperature)
3 eggs (room temperature)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 tsp vanilla or more (more for more vanilla tasting)
1 1/4 cups milk
2 1/2 tsp baking powder

Ingredients (Icing):

1/2 cup butter, softened
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5-6 tbs 2% milk
Red food coloring

Directions (Cupcakes):

1. Add cupcake liners to cupcake pan or grease individually.
2. Preheat oven to 350.
3. Mix salt, baking powder, and flour together.
4. Beat butter in an electric mixer or with a hand mixer on high 30 seconds.
5. Add sugar and beat until combined.
6. Add eggs and vanilla.
7. Add part of the flour mix and part of the milk. Repeat adding a little at a time.
8. Pour into cupcake liners. (3/4 way full)
9. Bake 15-18 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before icing.

Directions (Icing):

1. Beat butter until creamy.
2. Beat in confectioner's sugar, vanilla, and enough milk.
3. If not at desired consistency you can add a little more milk. 
(I found it was plenty of milk. My icing didn't get as thick as I wanted it too probably because my mixer went out of whack when I was trying to make the icing!)
4. Add drops of red food coloring to get the color icing you desire.
(I've talked about this before but, I find it easy to fill up my icing back by placing it in a cup so it stands up. I also used this method this time because I stuck it in the freezer so my icing would  thicken up since my hand mixer went out of whack. More of a reason why I need to suck it up and go by a Kitchen Aid mixer STAT.)

So, I'm kind of sad my icing didn't turn out like I wanted it too because of my mixer. :( But, they tasted delicious and hey that's all that matters right?!
Poor icing!

Don't forget to enter My Very First Giveaway!
We are giving away a $75 Victoria's Secret Gift Card just in time for Valentine's Day!

FEATURED ON:









10 comments:

  1. This looks so good!

    -Brittany
    http://pittsburghglamour.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by Brittany! :)

      Delete
  2. These cupcakes are so cute and look so tasty!! I'll have to try it! YUM :)

    xo Megan, Lush to Blush

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound so delish! My boyfriend would love them! Of course he eats everything, but that's not the point. I love how you iced them! I think they turned out pretty good. Unless you just took a good picture of them and made them look better in the picture than in real life haha. I'm so bad with icing and decorating cakes/cupcakes. I'm pretty good at eating them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol your boyfriend sounds like my boyfriend! He makes me feel like I'm a Top Chef or something because he eats everything I put in front of him. I know I'm not that good! Haha.
      The icing just kind of spilled over and turned out like that, it definitely wasn't my intention. I iced them when they were a little too hot plus my icing didn't come out fluffy enough! Damn hand mixer!!!
      Thanks for stopping by Tiffany!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you for stopping by!

      Lindi
      Sweet Southern Sparkle
      www.sweetsouthernsparkle.blogspot.com

      Delete
  5. hahaha! That hipster gingerbread man is hilarious!

    This totally makes me want a cupcake now. YUM! good thing I'm doing a shoot tomorrow with LOTS of cupcakes! YES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not I've only had one of them! I'm going to fix that tonight! ;) UM JEALOUS! A shoot with LOTS of cupcakes?! AH-mazing! Thanks for stopping by Gentri!

      Delete

some_text